If you’re looking to up your well being game, incorporating extra tremendous meals into your diet is a nice way to do it. Super foods, additionally known as antioxidant foods, offer most dietary advantages with minimal calories. They’re packed with vitamins, minerals, and of course, antioxidants to assist neutralize free radicals and make your physique extra wholesome all around. There are sure meals that are particularly excessive in antioxidants that you ought to be consuming on the regular. Take a glance at our favorite tremendous meals and recipes for higher health.
What Does ‘Antioxidant’ Mean?
Antioxidants are substances that prevent or slow damage to cells caused by free radicals, which play a role in coronary heart disease, most cancers and different diseases. Free radicals are unstable molecules that your physique produces as a response to environmental or different stressors (for example: air pollution, cigarette smoke, alcohol, radiation, excessive blood sugar levels).
Antioxidants can protect against the cell damage that free radicals cause, known as oxidative stress. Your physique has its personal antioxidant defences, however they’re additionally present in meals such as fruits and vegetables, and different plant-based whole foods. Several vitamins, such as vitamin E and C are efficient antioxidants.
3 Health Benefits of Antioxidant Foods
1. Reduce Risk of Disease
Eating meals excessive in antioxidants can reduce your risk of some diseases such as coronary heart disease, imaginative and prescient loss, diabetes and sure cancers. Antioxidants take away free radicals from the physique cells and prevent or reduce damage caused by oxidation. Eating a nutritious diet wealthy in antioxidant meals is a key way to reduce your risk of disease.
2. Eye Health
Antioxidants together with lutein, zeaxanthin, and vitamin C and E have been discovered to reduce the risk of serious eye diseases like age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. You can discover these antioxidants in leafy inexperienced vegetables, fruits, and nuts, so be certain to inventory up on them for your eye health.
3. Boost Your Mood
Free radicals have been linked to temper disorders such as anxiety and depression, in addition to complex neurological diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. Antioxidants may work to fight neuroinflammation caused by free radical damage, which is thought to be a precursor for these diseases. Antioxidants have additionally been discovered to reduce signs related to anxiety and depression.
10 Best Antioxidant Foods
Blueberries are chock full of vitamins and antioxidants. They’ve been discovered to contain the highest quantity of antioxidants amongst popular fruits and vegetables, serving to to neutralize free radicals and reduce inflammation. The antioxidants present in blueberries assist with mind function and can reduce the risk of things for coronary heart disease, such as lowering bad ldl cholesterol and blood pressure.
Pecans contain a excessive quantity of antioxidants and assist raise antioxidant ranges within the blood and decrease bad cholesterol. They’re additionally wealthy in minerals and wholesome fats, and make for a scrumptious addition to breakfast bowls, salads and desserts.
Strawberries are one other type of berry wealthy in antioxidants and are additionally a nice supply of vitamin C. They contain a type of antioxidant called anthocyanins that may reduce the risk of coronary heart illness by lowering ranges of bad LDL ldl cholesterol and elevating good HDL cholesterol.
Raspberries are an excellent supply of dietary fibre, vitamin C, manganese and antioxidants. The antioxidants in raspberries have been linked to decrease dangers of most cancers and coronary heart disease, and they additionally may reduce irritation and oxidative stress.
Kale is loaded with highly effective antioxidants, such as beta-carotene and vitamin C, in addition to various flavonoids and polyphenols. The flavonoids quercetin and kaempferol have highly effective heart-protective, blood pressure lowering, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-cancer effects.
6. Purple Cabbage
Purple cabbage (also known as red cabbage) is nutrient-rich and has a excessive antioxidant content. In comparability to inexperienced cabbage, it contains 10 times extra vitamins, cancer-fighting flavonoids and antioxidants which enhance eye, teeth, bone and immune health. Fermented purple cabbage helps heal the intestine by offering beneficial probiotics.
7. Dark Chocolate
Dark chocolate is a wealthy supply of antioxidants and minerals, and contains much less sugar than milk chocolate. The antioxidants in cocoa and darkish chocolate have been linked to well being advantages such as reduced irritation and reduced risk factors for coronary heart disease. They do that by elevating blood antioxidant levels, elevating ranges of good ldl cholesterol and stopping bad ldl cholesterol from becoming oxidized.
Beets are a nice supply of fibre, potassium, iron, and folate, and are wealthy in antioxidants. They’re a distinctive supply of phytonutrients called betalains, which present antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification support. Beets can additionally support mind health, enhance digestive well being and keep your blood pressure in check.
Spinach is loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, and is tremendous low in calories. It’s additionally one of many best plant-based sources of iron and is one of many most nutritionally dense greens around. It’s a key supply of lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants that may assist protect your eyes from damaging UV light.
Coffee drinkers, rejoice! Coffee beans contain disease-destroying antioxidants called quinines, which become stronger after roasting. They’re additionally wealthy in antioxidants together with hydrocinnamic acids and polyphenols. Hydrocinnamic acids are efficient at neutralizing free radicals and stopping oxidative stress and polyphenols can prevent coronary heart disease, most cancers and type 2 diabetes.
10 Breakfast Antioxidant Foods & Recipes
1. Antioxidant Berry Banana Smoothie | The Spruce Eats
2. Antioxidant Rich Breakfast Bars | Spark Recipes
3. Beet and Berry Smoothie Bowl | Traditional Cooking School
4. Whole Grain Blueberry Pancakes | One Green Planet
5. Sweet Potato Protein Breakfast Bowl | Fit Mitten Kitchen
6. Overnight Oats with Blueberries and Almonds | PureWow
7. No-Bake Chocolate Chia Energy Bars | Running on Real Food
8. Ultimate Antioxidant Paleo Breakfast Bowl | The Paleo Diet
9. Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds and Berries | Hello Glow
10. Green Shakshuka | PureWow
10 Lunch & Dinner Antioxidant Foods & Recipes
1. Beet Chickpea Cakes with Mint and Lemon Zest Sauce | One Green Planet
2. Anti-Inflammatory Salad with Kale, Beets and Turmeric Dressing | A Whisk and Two Wands
3. Chickpea Veggie Bowl with Spinach and Guacamole | Salad Menu
4. Summer Antioxidant Salad | Whole Food Bellies
5. Lentil and Beet Meatballs with Pasta | One Green Planet
6. California Chicken Tacos with Corn and Red Cabbage Slaw | Food52
7. Homemade Wholewheat Pasta with Spinach and Mushrooms | Yep Recipes
8. Broccoli and Tomato Flat Bread Pizzas | The Pioneer Woman
9. Beetroot Gnocchi with Caper and Leek Gremolata | To Her Core
10. Spinach Gnudi | Olive Magazine
10 Snack & Dessert Antioxidant Foods & Recipes
1. Dark Chocolate Pecan Toffee Bark | The Toasty Kitchen
2. Beet and Cumin Fritters | Blissful Basil
3. Antioxidant Trail Mix | All Recipes
4. Super Food Grain-Free Granola with Wild Blueberries and Coconut | Parsnips and Pastries
5. Healthy Raspberry Frozen Yogurt | As Easy As Apple Pie
6. Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies | How Sweet Eats
7. Super Food Granola Bars | Choosing Chia
8. Keto Blueberry Cheesecake | Fit to Serve
9. Antioxidant Rich Carrot Cake | Oh Sweet Mercy
10. Super Food Energy Balls | Eating Bird Food
Antioxidants are a key a half of a wholesome diet. Stock up on these superfoods and try these recipes to reap serious well being benefits!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this spherical up of antioxidant meals and recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for extra wholesome recipes? Make certain to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!