The crock pot has had a spot in America’s kitchens for decades. With no particular equipment, you can whip up mac and cheese, chili, beef stew or scrumptious homemade soups quickly and easily.
With the winter months almost upon us, a hot bowl of soup is certain to heat you from within, no matter how low the temperatures go. Get prepared to make your personal comforting, nutritious meals with this list of 30 homemade crock pot soup recipes.
What Is a Crock Pot?
The device that would eventually become known because the crock pot, was patented by inventor Irving Nachumsohn in 1940 to assist Jewish households cook a conventional stew called cholent for the Sabbath. The idea behind his invention was to permit meals to cook low and slow utilizing a particular heating element that allowed for even heating. He called it the Naxon Beanery.
In 1971, it was acquired by Rival Manufacturing and renamed the Crock Pot. They marketed it to working women as a revolutionary and handy way to cook, permitting them to make a meal quickly and with out a lot of prep or clear up. Promoted alongside the newly launched Tupperware, frozen dinners, and microwaves, it represented America’s altering relationship with food.
The crock pot was a marvel. No matter someone’s level of expertise or culinary training, they could get into the kitchen and create a homemade meal with out the hassle or the fear that they could mess issues up. You could simply set it and forget it.
Back within the 70’s, crock pots got here in popular hues like avocado and harvest gold. It was one solid unit, with the crock, or pottery container built-in into the heating element. Eventually, the humble crock pot went excessive tech, with the crock becoming removable, making it simpler to clear and permitting you to take it with you to events or potlucks. It now has a built-in timer and temperature settings and may even keep your meals heat when it’s done cooking.
The crock pot is now a favourite across the world, with nearly 12 million being sold every year!
7 Tips for Making Soup in a Crock Pot
Before you try one of many 30 homemade crock pot soup recipes, check out 7 tricks to assist you make the best soup ever, every time.
- Prep your ingredients – As a general rule of cooking, it’s important to chop all of your ingredients to the identical size to assist them cook on the identical rate. For crock pot cooking, that is simply as important, so be certain to take a little extra time to prep your meats and vegetables.
- Brown your ingredients – Although it’s a lot simpler so as to add everything to the crock pot and press start, when it involves creating soup within the crock pot, resist temptation and take a couple of minutes to sear your meats and brown your greens earlier than including them to the slow cooker. This will give your soup a fuller, richer flavor.
- Add these ingredients first – Some ingredients take longer to cook than others, so you’ll need to make sure so as to add them to your crockpot first. This includes onions and celery, root greens like carrots and potatoes, tomatoes, squashes, tougher meats like beef, pork, and whole chicken, and any spices.
- Add these ingredients last – Certain ingredients cook faster and won’t maintain as a lot as hours of cooking, so instead, add them within the final 30-45 minutes of cooking. This includes seafood and chicken breasts, soft greens like peas, corn, and peppers, pantry items like rice and pasta, and any dairy products.
- Place sure ingredients on the bottom – In order to permit your root greens and meats to tenderize whereas they cook, place them across the sides and backside of the crock pot. This way, they’ll have extra direct contact with the heating element.
- Don’t use an excessive quantity of liquid – It’s not always necessary so as to add the full quantity of liquid a recipe calls for. Unlike cooking on the stovetop, a crock pot doesn’t allow liquids to evaporate. Once you’ve added all of your ingredients, make sure the liquid covers them by about ½ an inch. When you attain the final half-hour of cooking time, if there is an excessive quantity of liquid, you can take away the lid to permit a few of it to evaporate.
- Choose the proper cooking time – Pay shut consideration to the cooking time in your recipe. As a rule of thumb, recipes with meat ought to cook for a minimal of 6 hours or as a lot as 10 hours. Veggie-only recipes ought to cook from 2-6 hours.
30 Homemade Crock Pot Soup Recipes
- Chicken Enchilada Soup | Skinny Taste
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup | Family Fresh Meals
- Black Bean Soup | Budget Bytes
- Cauliflower Cheese Soup | Slow Cooking Perfected
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Soup | Taste of Home
- Gnocchi Soup | Pinch of Yum
- Chicken Orzo Soup | Casserole Crissy
- Chicken Pho | Slow Cooker Society
- Beef and Barley Soup | Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Minestrone Soup | Skinny Taste
- Ham and Cheese Soup | Down Redbud Drive
- Butternut Squash Soup | Running on Real Food
- Thai Chicken Noodle | No Spoon Necessary
- Spinach Bean Soup | Taste of Home
- Tomato Basil Soup | Damn Delicious
- Cheesy Meatball Soup | Wishes and Dishes
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup | Served from Scratch
- Sweet Potato Soup | Greedy Gourmet
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup | Pinch of Yum
- French Onion Soup | The Novice Chef
- Hearty Pork Bean Soup | Taste of Home
- Taco Soup | Simply Recipes
- Split Pea Soup | Skinny Taste
- Zuppa Toscana | Copy Kat Recipes
- Cabbage Roll Soup | Spend with Pennies
- Mexican Corn and Chicken Chowder | Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Lasagna Soup | Damn Delicious
- Sausage Sauerkraut Soup | Taste of Home
- Vegetable Soup | Add a Pinch
- Hamburger Soup | Well Plated by Erin
Now it’s time to set it and forget it with our list of 30 homemade crock pot soup recipes.
If you loved our list of crock pot soup recipes, please share it on Pinterest!