Osteoporosis can tremendously impact your physical, emotional, and psychological well-being.
Although it’s a serious condition, osteoporosis can be treated. To assist you higher perceive it, check out these 10 osteoporosis prevention and treatment options.
What is Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis means “porous bones”. It’s a situation that’s extra common in women than men. Bones start to become thinner and start to lose their strength. Because of this, they’re much less dense and extra likely to break. In fact, one in three women over the age of fifty will break a bone due to osteoporosis.
This poorer high quality of bone causes each ache and disability. It additionally greatly reduces someone’s high quality of life. Doing the most basic of on a regular basis actions turns into extra difficult.
Many women don’t even know that they’ve osteoporosis till they break a bone. It’s often known because the “silent disease”. So how precisely does it start?
What Causes Osteoporosis?
Throughout our lives, our bones are constantly being renewed. New bone replaces old bone, keeping us strong. But for these with osteoporosis, this renewal doesn’t happen on the identical level. More bone is misplaced than is replaced, making them brittle and prone to fracture.
It’s important to know if you are in danger for osteoporosis. Having one risk issue doesn’t imply you’ll get the disease, however the extra risk factors you have, the greater your chances of developing it. Some of the risk factors include:
- Gender – Again, women are extra likely than males to develop the disease.
- Age – As you age, your risk of developing osteoporosis goes up, particularly if you’re over the age of 65.
- Family history – Genetics do play a role. If one of your parents has been diagnosed with osteoporosis or has damaged a hip, you could additionally be at greater risk.
- Menopause/hysterectomy – Estrogen helps protect our bones. With the onset of menopause, the degrees of estrogen go down and bone loss speeds up. Women who’ve had a hysterectomy additionally expertise this drop and can develop osteoporosis.
- Medications – Certain medications can have side results that may increase your risk of fracture or developing osteoporosis, such as these taken for diabetes, thyroid treatment, or depression. Make certain to check with your medical supplier to see if what you are taking may put you at greater risk.
- Previous fracture – If you’ve had a minor fall and skilled a fracture, you may have osteoporosis. It’s a good alternative to get checked.
- Some diseases – Certain diseases may very well weaken your bones, such as arthritis, chronic kidney disease, and even gastrointestinal problems. Again, make certain to ask your medical supplier if you ought to be involved about possibly developing osteoporosis.
What Are the Symptoms of Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is called the “silent disease” for a reason. Those who’re struggling bone loss due to osteoporosis usually don’t expertise any symptoms. In fact, there are solely three bodily signs that may warn you of the disease:
- Loss of height equal or greater than four cm (just over an inch)
- A stooped posture or curved higher back
- Significant, ongoing decrease again pain
These indicators may point out that you have a backbone fracture, particularly a vertebral fracture. Surprisingly, they aren’t always painful, so they may go unnoticed for a lengthy interval of time. Be certain to attain out to your physician if you believe you’re experiencing a number of of these symptoms.
6 Tips to Prevent Osteoporosis
So are you able to do something to assist reduce your risk even further? Yes! Prevention begins with a good diet and wholesome lifestyle. Take a glance at these 6 tips that may help:
- Get sufficient Vitamin D – If you’re not getting sufficient Vitamin D through your diet or daily publicity to sunlight, a complement can assist you get your daily recommended allowance.
- Avoid smoking – If you aren’t a smoker, don’t start, and if you’re a smoker, work to cease smoking. Smoking can actually double your risk of hip fracture.
- Maintain a wholesome weight – You probably know that having a low mass physique index is important. However, when it involves osteoporosis, a BMI of decrease than 19 can increase your risk.
- Eat healthy – Make certain to eat loads of protein, calcium, fruits and greens to advertise good bone health.
- Avoid an excessive amount of alcohol – Avoid having greater than 2 drinks a day to diminish your risk of fracture.
- Get loads of exercise – Not sufficient train can result in not solely muscle loss however bone loss as well.
4 Osteoporosis Treatment Options
Beyond altering your diet and lifestyle, your physician may recommend extra serious treatment options. A bone density test could additionally be used to assist decide your risk of breaking a bone within the subsequent 10 years. From there, treatment choices include medications in addition to remedy including:
- Hormone-related therapy – Because women lose estrogen at greater ranges throughout and after menopause, estrogen is the most common hormone given to assist deal with osteoporosis. It can however increase the risk of breast most cancers in addition to blood clots, which could result in a stroke. There are different hormone choices that mimic estrogen, such as Raloxifene, that could additionally be utilized instead.
- Bisphosphonates – Bisphosphonates are the most common medication prescribed to deal with osteoporosis. They can have side results together with heartburn, nausea, and abdominal pain.
- Denosumab – Denosumab is an injection given every 6 months, and has had nice success in reducing fractures and increasing bone density. You do want to be conscious that when you start taking it, you’ll most likely have to take action indefinitely or risk spinal column fractures.
- Bone-building medications – Certain medications can assist you gain again a few of the bone mass you’ve lost, by stimulating bone growth. These medications are typically given by injection and they do have time limits – you cannot take them for greater than one to 2 years.
Be certain to remain conscious and keep track of your risk factors and any possible symptoms. Share them with your physician and discuss what treatment choices could additionally be proper for you.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you discovered these tricks to prevent and deal with osteoporosis helpful, please share this post on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for extra health-related tips, please follow our Health board the place we share all sorts of nice ideas we discover every day!