If you’re attempting to determine how to get kids to put on a face mask, you’re not alone.
I see so many templates, patterns, and tutorials for DIY face masks for kids floating round on the internet, however little or no within the way of tricks to get children to actually put on them (and keep them on). With schools and summer camps closed till September (and beyond) throughout the globe, many people are nonetheless sheltering in place, and our kids have mostly been spared the necessity to put on masks. But as companies start to open up and we start thinking about sending our children again to daycare and school, many parents (myself included!) are beginning to make plans and preparations on how to maintain our kids safe.
If you want to know how to get kids to put on a face mask, we’ve got eight tricks to help!
How to Get Kids to Wear a Face Mask
1. HAVE A CONVERSATION
My first tip for these that want to know how to get kids to put on a face masks may sound so apparent and simple, however I think we sometimes forget that our kids don’t essentially perceive all of the methods our lives have recently changed. While you may have had conversations with them about daycare, school, and camp closing, the explanations why we’re sheltering in place, and the proper way to wash their hands after being outside, have you ever proactively taken the time to educate your kids about what the future may look like? They have probably seen people wearing masks on TV and in your neighborhood, however do they fully perceive why people are wearing masks and why it’s important that they put on one in conditions the place they cannot socially distance themselves from others?
There are tons of nice age-appropriate resources on-line to assist information these types of conversations with your kids, with suggested verbiage to assist you convey the significance of wearing masks not just for the private well being and security of your kids, however for the well being and security of others too.
2. NORMALIZE IT
If you want to know how to get kids to put on a face mask, one other important tip to consider is to attempt to normalize it as a lot as possible. Remember that the earlier you start to practice getting your kids comfortable wearing masks, the higher equipped they’ll be as soon as they should put on them. Here are some issues you are able to do to assist normalize the idea of wearing masks so it feels much less scary and overwhelming:
- Get into the behavior of wearing a masks round your child (i.e. when preparing to go out, when coming home after running errands, whereas speaking to neighbors, etc.)
- Give your child the chance to practice placing their very personal masks on and taking them off daily so they become extra comfortable with the process
- Have your child look within the mirror whereas wearing their masks so they get used to seeing themselves in a mask
- Given them extra masks to placed on their favourite stuffed animals and dolls
- Show them photos of different kids wearing masks
- Ask relatives and friends to present off their masks on Zoom and FaceTime, social media, etc.
- Organize a ‘show off your mask!’ playdate with your child’s friends on Zoom or FaceTime
3. BE A GOOD ROLE MODEL
It’s no secret that our children watch our every move, so if you wish to know how to get kids to put on a face mask, it solely makes sense that you put on one yourself. While I know a lot of adults have strong emotions about wearing masks in public, remember that this isn’t about you. If your child will be mandated to put on a masks in sure settings (i.e. daycare, school, doctor’s appointments, etc.), it’s your responsibility to be a good role model. Take the emotion out of it, practice what you preach, present your child that masks aren’t scary, and remind them that they’re designed to guard us.
4. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX
If your child finds it difficult to tolerate a face mask, consider the explanations why and strategize methods to make issues simpler for your little one.
- If the masks bothers your child’s ears, start by having her or him put on ponytail holders on his or her ears to get used to the feeling with out the added weight of the mask.
- If the masks bothers your child’s face and/or feels too suffocating, experiment with different breathable fabrics.
- If your child’s glasses fog up when wearing a mask, try different sizes and shapes to make sure the masks fits snug over his or her nose.
- If your child’s masks falls off too easily, safe it in place with a piece of string or elastic on the back.
5. GET MATCHING MASKS
Another nice tip to get kids enthusiastic about wearing face masks is to make/purchase matching masks. Wearing a masks for the primary time could make kids really feel uncomfortable and self-conscious, and discovering methods for them to really feel the identical as others can be extremely helpful. Younger kids might like having the identical masks as their siblings and/or parents, and older kids might really feel extra motivated to put on their masks in the event that they match these their friends are wearing.
6. MAKE IT A PROJECT
With so many DIY face masks tutorials available online, your child can select his or her favourite fabric and also you can flip mask-making proper into a enjoyable project you can enjoy together. Older kids can create masks with their friends via Zoom, and can shock every different with different creations as gifts.
Not creatively inclined? No worries! A lot of on-line retailers are promoting adorable masks for kids (we’ve discovered nice ones on Etsy!), and native companies in your space might be promoting them as well. Do a little research, and let your child select a few that appeal to him or her. Remember that the extra your child likes the design, the extra likely she or he will put on it!
7. INCORPORATE IT INTO PLAY
One of the best methods to present kids is thru play, so if you’re attempting to determine how to get kids to put on a face mask, discover creative methods to make it fun! Here are some ideas to encourage you:
- Mask masks for his or her stuffed animals
- Draw pictures of individuals wearing masks with foolish patterns and designs
- Arrange a Zoom name for your kids and their friends to present off their masks
- Have a masks adorning contest to see who can come up with the funkiest design
8. PRACTICE OFTEN
My final tip for parents who’re attempting to determine how to get kids to put on a face masks is to be consistent. If you’re something like me, you’re probably actually good at practicing new skills with your kids for a brief interval of time earlier than losing curiosity and stamina. I think it’s human nature to do this, however when you want your kids to get comfortable with the idea of wearing a masks daily to daycare or school, consistency actually is important. The extra your child practices, the much less likely she or he will fidget with his or her mask, which is an important issue in keeping her or him safe.
If you’re attempting to determine how to get kids to put on a face mask, I hope the tips and ideas on this post show helpful to you! Remember to be a good role mannequin and normalize the idea of wearing masks as a lot as possible, to think outside the field and discover methods to make face masks extra tolerable to your little one, and to make it a enjoyable expertise wherever possible. Most of all, keep safe!
If you’re attempting to determine how to get kids to put on a face masks and located these tips helpful, please share this post on Pinterest!