Hair loss in women is extra common than you may think. Almost all women will expertise some type of hair loss at some level of their life. While genetics is the main trigger of feminine balding, you can additionally expertise hair loss due to sure diseases, medications, hormones and sure hair treatments/styles. If you’ve noticed your hair is beginning to skinny or fall out, we’ve rounded up our greatest tricks to prevent and handle feminine hair loss.
How Common is Female Balding?
Although consideration is mostly given to male balding, at least one third of women expertise hair loss at some level of their life. Among post-menopausal women, as many as two thirds suffer from hair thinning or bald spots. While males typically expertise balding through a receding hairline, in women, hair loss begins with the gradual thinning of the half line, adopted by increasing diffuse hair loss radiating from the highest of the head.
11 Causes of Female Balding
1. Genetics/ Family historical past of hair loss
2. Autoimmune illness such as alopecia areata
3. Illness such as extreme infection, excessive fever or surgery
4. Traction alopecia, which can happen due to frequently wearing hairstyles that pull the hair too tightly
5. Hormonal changes due to pregnancy, childbirth, menopause and thyroid problems
6. Medications and dietary supplements such as these used for cancer, arthritis, depression, coronary heart problems, gout and excessive blood pressure
7. Radiation remedy to the head
8. An extraordinarily stressful occasion that causes bodily or emotional shock
9. Hot oil hair treatments
10. Vitamin deficiency such as iron deficiency
11. Restrictive diets
7 Warning Signs to Watch For
1. Gradual thinning on the highest of the head and overall thinning
2. Patchy bald spots
3. Sudden loosening of hair
4. Excess hair in your sink, bathe or brush
5. Thinner ponytail
6. Sudden loss or handfuls of hair
7. Thinning eyebrows or eyelashes
6 Tips to Prevent Female Balding
1. Avoid Hairstyles That Pull on the Hairline
Tight hairstyles such as tight ponytails and braids ought to be done sparingly. These tight hairstyles trigger stress and pull too hard on the fragile hairs on the hairline, which can trigger hair loss and thinning to occur. If you want to place your hair up, be certain to make use of an elastic with out metal because the metal can pull out your hair when eradicating your pony. Use a scrunchie, claw clip or a no-metal hair tie instead.
2. Limit Your Use of Heat Tools
Heat can be very damaging for your hair so restrict your use of hot instruments as a lot as possible. Heat causes bonds inside the hair to fracture, resulting in brittle hair that breaks and falls out. Try to permit your hair to dry naturally as often as possible and if you want to make use of warmth tools, be certain to make use of a warmth protectant spray. Also make certain to not leave the tool in your hair for too long, moving it round each 10 seconds or so.
3. Steer Clear of Chemical Processing Treatments
Chemically straightening or curling your hair, bleaching or lightening your hair can all trigger damage to the hair shaft, weakening the hair and inflicting loss. If you do use chemical processing, make certain to make use of a deep-conditioning mask at least as soon as a week to minimize damage.
4. Eat Hair-Healthy Foods
Focus on consuming meals excessive in nutritional vitamins and minerals together with iron, zinc and vitamin B12. Eat lots of leafy greens, nuts, beans, fish and lean meats. You can additionally try dietary dietary supplements if you don’t really feel like you’re getting sufficient nutritional vitamins in your daily diet.
5. Give Yourself a Scalp Massage
A scalp therapeutic massage can enhance circulation to the scalp, stimulating hair growth. Use the fingers of each hands to use light to medium pressure in your scalp, moving in small circles. Be certain to cowl all areas and therapeutic massage for at least 5 minutes, a number of times a day. You can do it at your desk, whereas you’re watching TV or inside the bathe whereas you apply shampoo or conditioner.
6. Protect Your Hair From Sunlight (and Other Sources of UV light)
Some vitamin D is important for hair growth, however, fixed publicity to the solar or different sources of ultraviolet light can contribute to breakage and visual thinning of your strands. If you’re going to spend a very very lengthy time inside the sun, make certain to put on a hat or discover a spot inside the shade.
5 Tips to Treat Female Balding
1. Topical treatment like Minoxidil (or Rogaine)
2. Low level light therapy
3. Hormone remedy such as contraception pills if hair loss is because of hormone imbalances
4. Use a biotin hair loss shampoo such because the NewYorkBiology Shampoo & Conditioner Set
5. Consider corticosteroid injections for hair loss due to alopecia areata
4 Tips to Hide Female Balding
1. Touch Up Your Roots
If you’re noticing bald spots, you can head to the salon to the contact up your roots, which will assist to camouflage the bareness. This can be a lot of upkeep, so that you may additionally try root cowl up spray or root cowl up powder. These choices are supposed to elongate the time between salon appointments. They’re nice for masking bald spots and can be found in different shades relying in your hair colour.
2. Opt for a Shorter Cut
While you might imagine having much less hair is counterintuitive, longer hair actually weighs down hair close to the scalp, so that you lose fullness and quantity on the root. Finer hair typically looks best at shoulder size or shorter. Longer hair can discover yourself looking stringy and heavy layers skinny out the underside even more, including to a extra scraggly appearance. Stick to cuts like bobs, lobs or blunt cuts if you’re experiencing feminine balding.
3. Be Strategic with Layers and Don’t Cut Bangs
Cutting bangs might be one of many worst issues you are able to do if you have thinning hair. Female balding typically begins on the crown, so by creating bangs, you’re eradicating hair from the place you want it most. You ought to even be strategic with layers as layering your strands could make them look skimpy. Keep layers close to the crown of the head for extra lift and density. Or rather than layering, consider texturizing the ends, which will make it look longer and fuller.
4. Style Your Part
When it involves parting your hair, keep away from centre half styles and sleek, smooth looks. A deep side half will give you quantity and fullness across the face. You can add extra texture to your hair by including waves with a curling iron or wand.
If you’re experiencing feminine hair loss, we hope these tips assist you really feel extra assured with your hair!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you discover this post on feminine balding helpful? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for extra hair tips and advice? Make certain to follow our Hair Board on Pinterest!