There’s one thing about lasagna that immediately makes your mouth water. A luscious, creamy mixture of ricotta, meat and sauce in between layers of noodles – it’s a hearty, filling consolation meal that nobody can resist. That being said, it’s not precisely that healthiest meal on the menu. If you’re a lasagna lover that’s watching your weight however don’t need to surrender this consolation meals classic, we’ve got the answer for you. With a few easy swaps and noodle alternatives, you’ll be whipping up wholesome lasagna recipes in no time!
5 Tips for Making Lasagna Recipes Healthier
1. Use Whole Wheat Pasta
Whole wheat lasagna noodles are a fast and easy swap to make your lasagna healthier. Replacing refined white pasta for whole wheat pasta is linked to well being advantages such as lowering your risk of chronic diseases like coronary heart disease, diabetes, cancers and more. It can additionally assist enhance your digestive well being and decrease your risk of obesity.
2. Or, Forgo Noodles Altogether
Another alternative to common lasagna noodles is to forgo noodles altogether, changing them with greens that may act as noodles. Vegetables are one of many healthiest issues you can eat and contain vitamins that are vital to the well being and upkeep of your body. When you replace lasagna noodles with veggies like eggplant or zucchini you skyrocket the dietary worth of your meal. Veggies contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that boost your health, so attempt to eat as many as possible.
3. Add More Veggies
If you don’t sub your noodles for vegetables, one other way to make lasagna extra wholesome is to pack veggies across the noodles. Vegetables like spinach, kale, bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini and carrots are all scrumptious in lasagna, and also you can up the nutritiousness of this classic consolation dish by packing in additional of those veggies. Start by including 50% extra veggies than what the recipe requires and go up from there.
4. Use Cottage Cheese Instead of Ricotta
Ricotta is the cheese that’s historically utilized in lasagna, however you can simply swap it with 1% cottage cheese to make your recipes healthier. This switch cuts down on total and saturated fats and provides a good dose of protein and calcium to your dish. Cottage cheese is additionally decrease in energy and carbohydrates, and is thinner and fewer dense so won’t really feel as heavy in your abdomen as ricotta does.
5. Swap Out the Beef
We’ve already sung the praises of vegetables, and whereas including extra veggies to your lasagna is great, you can additionally add solely veggies and leave out the meat completely for a scrumptious vegetable lasagna. If you continue to need to incorporate meat in your dish, go for lean floor turkey rather than beef. Turkey contains much less total fats and saturated fats than beef, and has fewer energy and extra protein, so it’s a nice swap to make.
4 Lasagna Noodle Alternatives
1. Spaghetti Squash
Using a vegetable like spaghetti squash rather than noodles is the best way to make your lasagna recipes extra wholesome and gluten free. Spaghetti squash has a mild, barely candy flavour and is brimming with nutrients. It’s wealthy in antioxidants and helps support weight reduction since it’s low in energy and excessive in fibre. If you’re watching your weight, it’s a nice lasagna noodle swap!
Eggplant lasagna is one of many hottest lasagna alternatives out there. Delicious, low carb and filling, eggplant is an excellent noodle swap. And because it has a “meaty” texture, it’s ideal for a fully veggie lasagna that you really need to have the identical texture as meat. High in fibre, wealthy in vitamins and brimming with antioxidants, eggplant is a no brainer for your noodle swap.
Zucchini is one of many hottest veggie subs for pasta and noodle dishes, and lasagna is no different. Zucchini noodles – or zoodles – are a nice way to chop out the carbs in your lasagna and pack your meal full of nutrients. They’re excessive in fibre and antioxidants and offer advantages such as coronary heart health, weight reduction and wholesome digestion.
4. Portobello Mushrooms
The large mushroom caps of portobello mushrooms can function because the pasta in lasagna. Remove the mushroom gills by scraping them off gently with the side of a spoon, and discard them so solely the caps are used. You can additionally make a play on lasagna by making lasagna-stuffed portobello mushrooms and place all of the ingredients (minus the noodles) contained in the caps.
30 Healthy Lasagna Recipes for Weight Loss
1. Whole Wheat Roasted Veggie Lasagna | Pinch of Yum
2. Healthy Turkey Lasagna | Ambitious Kitchen
3. Low-Carb Eggplant Lasagna | Tasty
4. Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna | Cooking Light
5. Portobello Mushroom Stacked Lasagna | Vegetarian Times
6. Mom’s Cottage Cheese Lasagna | Neighbour Food Blog
7. Healthy Beef Lasagna with Spinach and Basil | Healthy Seasonal Recipes
8. Chicken Sausage Lasagna | Eat This, Not That
9. Easy Vegetable Lasagna | Inspired Taste
10. Easy Keto Eggplant Lasagna | Wholesome Yum
11. No-Noodle Zucchini Lasagna | Healthy Recipes
12. Spaghetti Squash Lasagna | Well Plated
13. Vegetarian Spinach Pumpkin Lasagna | Ambitious Kitchen
14. Skinny Spinach Lasagna | Pinch of Yum
15. Tofu Zucchini Lasagna | Eating Bird Food
16. Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Bake | Minimalist Baker
17. Sweet Potato Lasagna | Delish
18. Skinny Skillet Lasagna | Life Made Sweeter
19. Lighter Whole Wheat Lasagna with Chicken Sausage | A Foodcentric Life
20. Zucchini Lattice Lasagna | Delish
21. Skinny Veggie Lasagna | Pinch of Yum
22. Vegetarian Mushroom Kale Lasagna Rolls | Skinny Taste
23. Whole Wheat Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna | The Spruce Eats
24. Veggie-Loaded Turkey Lasagna | The Natural Nurturer
25. Skinny Mushroom Spinach Lasagna | Little Spice Jar
26. Easy and Healthy Vegan Lasagna | Health My Lifestyle
27. Gluten Free Dairy Free Lasagna | Minimalist Baker
28. Vegetarian Lasagna with Kale, Ricotta and Leek | Olive Magazine
29. Roasted Vegetable Lasagna | Family Style Food
30. Cashew Cream Vegan Lasagna | Cookie and Kate
These lasagna recipes offer a wholesome tackle the consolation meals classic. Use our tips and swaps to make wholesome lasagna your entire family will love!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy these wholesome lasagna recipes for weight loss? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for extra wholesome spins on classic recipes? Make certain to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!