New Orleans is a magical place. And opposite to popular belief, it’s not solely a playground for adults. In fact, it’s a metropolis perfect for families, wealthy in art, music, and culture.
You’ll discover an abundance of experiences indoors and out, together with parks, historic sites, and museums.
Get ready to plan your bayou expertise with our list of 24 issues to do with kids in New Orleans, together with kid-friendly locations to buy and eat.
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is found greater than 20 minutes from the metropolis itself, so you’ll have to plan on taking a cab or use a rideshare service such as Uber.
- Think twice earlier than renting a car. Streets can be complicated and parking is expensive. You can simply get round on foot or via streetcar if you’re staying near the French Quarter or the Central Business District.
- If you’re riding the streetcars, you want to be certain to have exact change otherwise you can opt to buy an all-day pass. Visit their web site forward of time for scheduling information.
- Be certain to bring alongside money as many native locations are money solely and ATM charges can be high.
- If you’re going to be exploring the metropolis on a Monday or Tuesday, be certain to check if a enterprise or attraction is open by calling or visiting their website. Many locations are closed on these days.
- If you plan to journey to New Orleans all through Mardi Gras in February, you want to book your reservations months in advance if not longer. You’ll additionally want to be ready for the highest room charges all year round.
What to Pack
- When thinking about what type of garments to pack, consider what time of year you’ll be visiting. Summer is hot and wet, so light layers are an absolute must. The remainder of the year is nice overall, with temperatures starting from 60-75 levels Fahrenheit. Winter months require a heat jacket, as you’re most likely to come across a chilly snap.
- Since you’ll be strolling round a lot or leaping on and off streetcars, you’ll want to pack a light-weight stroller that folds simply or bring alongside a comfortable child carrier.
- In New Orleans, it can rain out of the blue year round, so a sturdy umbrella is a must-pack item. A raincoat or poncho ought to be in your suitcase as well, it doesn’t matter what time of year it is.
- A foldable, reusable water bottle will come in handy to assist keep everybody hydrated on a day of exploring.
- During the hotter months, mosquitoes are abundant, so pack your favourite insect repellent.
9 Kid-Approved Places to Shop and Eat
- Cafe Du Monde – This open-air French cafe is popular for a reason. The beignets are a should as is the chicory coffee. Kids will love peeking through the window to see the beignets being made whereas they sip a hot chocolate. And since they’re open 24 hours a day, you can cease by anytime you want a little pick me up!
- Stanley – You’ll want to reach early to this popular breakfast spot to keep away from the lines. They are known for his or her fried oyster po boys and scrumptious eggs benedict. Or you can dive proper into a stack of fluffy pancakes served with a side of vanilla ice cream.
- The French Market – This open-air flea market offers loads of goodies that will please each kids and adults. Shop for souvenirs as you enjoy native snacks, live music, fresh produce, and handmade arts and crafts.
- Fat Boy’s Pizza – Grab a slice of pizza as big as your head! The whole household will love this tasty pizza spot and can surely leave with a full belly. Enthusiastic eaters can participate within the 2ft problem to try and eat a 2-foot slice of pizza in lower than 7 minutes.
- Magazine Street – Wander this historic street to discover distinctive shops and loads of eating opportunities. Head to Magic Box Toys for books, crafts, costumes, and playthings. Or go to Octavia Books, which is a well-liked native bookstore filled with treasures.
- German Coast Farmers Market – Located within the River Parishes, this market offers all kinds of produce and handmade products. You can additionally discover items like fresh flowers, native honey, and fresh-baked goods.
- The Camellia Grill – This restaurant is a New Orleans institution. Visit this pretty-in-pink diner for world-famous omelets, chocolate freezes, and mile-high sandwiches. Kids will love the entertaining bow-tied servers.
- Beads by the Dozen – Kids will have a blast exploring aisles and aisles of colourful beads, hats, tiaras, and toys. It’s a enjoyable place to inventory up on a few of New Orleans’ hottest souvenirs.
- Hansen’s Sno-Bliz – On a hot New Orleans’ day, there’s nothing extra refreshing than a snoball. Fluffy shaved ice is flavored with candy syrups and covered in scrumptious toppings. You can solely get these frozen treats from Spring till Summer.
15 Things To Do with Kids in New Orleans
We’ve rounded up a list of 15 issues to do with kids in New Orleans:
- Audubon Zoo and Aquarium – This zoo is home to animals from all through the world, together with elephants, sea lions, zebras, and more. It even has a mini water park called the Cool Zoo, so don’t forget to pack your swimsuits.
- French QuarTour Kids – These excursions are designed solely for the kids – however parents will have enjoyable as well! Kids ages 6-13 can enjoy ghost hunts, interactive strolling tours, scavenger hunts, and living historic past adventures.
- The Louisiana Children’s Museum – A favourite of locals and vacationers alike, this museum has loads of thrilling exhibits and alternatives for creative play. Dig into nature, look through a microscope, get moist on the water table, or play on the Bean Machine.
- St. Louis Cathedral – Beautiful inside and out, this historic cathedral is to not be missed. On par with a few of the most well-known church buildings in Europe, you won’t be disappointed. You can take a self-guided tour or catch a tour with a volunteer docent.
- Horse and Carriage Ride – Tour the French Quarter on a horse and carriage ride. You’ll be picked up in entrance of St. Louis Cathedral, located simply throughout from Cafe Du Monde. Learn all about historic factors of curiosity whereas you take within the distinctive structure of the city.
- Cemetery Tour – A self-guided cemetery tour is a nice way to get up shut with New Orleans’ history. Continuously active since 1833, you’ll discover many notable tombs, together with the one which impressed Interview with a Vampire.
- Fontainebleau State Park – This lakeside park offers awe-inspiring beauty. Discover the crumbling ruins of a sugar mill constructed in 1829, sunbathe on a sandy beach, take a bike ride, or keep an eye out for over four hundred different animal species.
- City Park – This gorgeous inexperienced space has a number of attractions together with the Sculpture Garden, Storyland, New Orleans Botanical Garden, the Carousel Gardens Amusement Park, in addition to The New Orleans Museum of Art. There are occasions all through the year, so be certain to take a look at their occasion calendar.
- Mardi Gras World – Take a tour of this 300,000 sq. foot working warehouse the place the floats for New Orleans’ Mardi Gras parades are made. The colourful floats are bigger than life, and you’ll have the chance to watch artists create them proper in entrance of you!
- The National World War II Museum – This museum is a nice place for historic past buffs. Explore artifacts and enjoy tales from these that fought within the war. Be certain to go to the Soda Shop located contained in the museum for a candy deal with or gourmet biscuit.
- Preservation Hall – This historic constructing is the mecca for all issues jazz in New Orleans. You can catch concerts right here almost each day of the year. All ages are welcome, and kids will love listening to the live music. Just know forward of time that if you’re visiting within the summer, there is no air conditioning.
- Audubon Aquarium of the Americas – Located near the French Quarter, this aquarium is taken into account one of many best within the country. Explore the Great Maya Reef, go to the Gulf of Mexico’s 400,000-gallon tank, or get up shut with a number of endangered species.
- Take a Steamboat Ride – What is extra classic New Orleans than a steamboat ride on the Mississippi River?! Take in views of the metropolis and the surrounding areas and learn why they name it “The Crescent City”.
- Audubon Nature Center – Featuring a planetarium and various strolling trails, that is a nice place to visit. Only a brief drive from the city, nature lovers big and small will have enjoyable getting up shut and private with a number of animal species.
- Airboat Swamp Tour – Taking a thrilling ride over the Mississippi River on a swamp boat. Kids and adults will love cruising alongside whereas getting a glimpse of bayou wildlife, together with snakes, eagles, and of course, alligators!
You’ll by no means run out of issues to do with kids in New Orleans. And it doesn’t matter what you choose, you’re assured to have the time of your lives on this colourful city.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this list of issues to do with kids in New Orleans, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for extra kids activities, please follow our Kids Activities board!