There is no metropolis within the world fairly like New York City, and it’s a nice journey spot for the entire family.
It’s a spot that will stimulate all of your senses – with stunning cityscapes and thrilling culture.
To assist you discover the Big Apple, we’ve put collectively a list of 20 issues to do with kids in New York City.
- You have a lot of choices when touring to New York City. Fly into one of three worldwide airports, or journey in by train or bus if you’re located on or close to the East Coast.
- Since the hottest locations to go to are all located in Manhattan, staying there is definitely the most sensible choice. Check out our list of must-stay hotels below for our favourite options.
- There is a lot to see and do round New York City, that you couldn’t possibly see everything in a single trip. Each go to will be its personal distinctive experience. Knowing this forward of time will keep you from stressing out or being disappointed.
- The best time to go to New York City with kids is on a weekend. Locals have a tendency to get out of the metropolis on the weekends, so they’re your best if you wish to keep away from big crowds.
- Getting across the metropolis is simpler than you may think. Avoid renting a car and instead take benefit of the city’s public transportation – subways, taxis, buses, and Uber.
- Before you head out, take a whereas to plan out your route. You’ll keep away from frustration and also you won’t miss out on anything. Utilize Google or Apple Maps in your smartphone, otherwise you can buy or obtain an in depth map of the metropolis that features subway routes.
- Purchase subway playing cards at a subway station. They can be utilized for metropolis buses as well. Up to three kids 12 years and youthful can ride free with every adult! Just remember that subways have a lot of stairs, so bring alongside an umbrella stroller or child carrier.
What to Pack
- Comfortable strolling shoes are a should since NYC is a metropolis the place people stroll everywhere.
- Daypack to maintain all of the child necessities handy whereas you discover the city.
- Collapsible or refillable water bottles that may be stowed in your daypack or suitcase
- A child carrier or small, light-weight stroller for infants and toddlers
- Portable booster seat for taxi and Uber rides
- Compact umbrella since rain can occur any time of the year
- Bug spray or mosquito repellent if you’re touring within the summertime months
- New York journey information book for extra tips and sights to discover
- If you’re touring all through the Spring or Fall, think layers, collectively with a hotter jacket for evenings. Winters can be very cold, so you’ll want to make certain to have a hat, scarf, gloves, and a thermal layer. Summers are hot and humid, so you’ll want to pack light-weight clothing.
4 Must-Stay New York City Hotels
How do you select the place to remain when there are numerous options? We’re keeping it easy with a list of four must-stay New York City Hotels.
- The Muse Hotel – Located within the coronary heart of the theater district, The Muse has lots of enjoyable perks. Bunk beds, welcome gifts, complimentary bikes, and kid-sized scooters, in addition to hula hoops within the gym! Parents will love the nightly wine receptions and babysitting services.
- The Algonquin Hotel – This hotel is one of many oldest within the metropolis and it has loads of charm and character. The kids will love assembly Hamlet, the hotel’s personal cat! Well-appointed rooms have been recently renovated however nonetheless have vintage touches. This is a truly particular place that will make your journey a lot extra memorable.
- Hotel Beacon – Close to a few of the highest household attractions, the entire household can get comfy in a single and two-bedroom suites. Save cash and time by grabbing groceries at close by shops like Trader Joe’s, then prep meals in your in-room kitchen.
- NU Hotel – Stay simply outside the hustle and bustle of the metropolis and live like a native in a Brooklyn neighborhood, solely a few subway stops from Manhattan. Enjoy free breakfast, bunk-bed rooms, Brooklyn-themed coloring books, and loaner bikes.
20 Things To Do with Kids in New York City
When it involves issues to do with kids in New York City, there are such a lot of choices. We couldn’t possibly list them all, so we’ve put collectively a list of our favorites. Make certain to take a look at every location’s web site for hours, pricing, and up-to-date attraction info earlier than you visit.
- The Battery– Take a ride on the SeaGlass Carousel with its beautiful sea creatures or cool off within the Battery Fountain on a hot day. Enjoy views of the harbor or discover perennial gardens and an metropolis farm.
- Central Park – A giant park smack dab within the center of the city! Explore Central Park Zoo, ride the carousel, take a carriage ride, rent a boat, ride a bike, or go ice skating within the winter months.
- American Museum of Natural History – Your kids can expand their minds and their imaginations at this household favourite museum. There are everlasting in addition to touring exhibits – the dinosaurs are always a favorite!
- Children’s Museum of Manhattan – A nice spot for the youthful kids to learn and play, this museum is a nice place to flee on a hot or wet day.
- Chelsea Piers Sports & Entertainment Complex – Practice, play, and compete in additional than 25 different sports. Drop in anytime to enjoy batting cages, rock-n-’roll gymnastics, rock climbing sessions, and the toddler gym.
- New York City Fire Museum – Celebrate the historical past of the New York City Fire Department at this colourful museum. Explore artifacts, apparatus, and gear from way again to 200 years ago!
- SPYSCAPE – Explore your personal spy superpowers collectively with incredible devices and tales at this popular New York museum. You can learn to interrupt codes, dodge lasers, and run surveillance.
- New York Public Library – Did you know that anybody can get a New York City Library card? Visit the Main Branch in Midtown Manhattan to browse through books, have a snack within the cafe, or take a photograph in entrance of the lion sculptures.
- The Color Factory – This interactive artwork museum is a should visit. As you discover the colourful exhibits, you’ll additionally obtain colourful treats like macarons and raspberry soda!
- Empire State Building – Take a ride to the highest of this iconic 102-story skyscraper to see the metropolis from above. Kids under 6 are free! Make certain to order your spot forward of time since lines can get fairly long.
- Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island– These attractions are a half of the identical park, located on two separate islands. It’s worth exploring each if you have the time. You might want to be certain to book your tickets far in advance.
- Staten Island Ferry – Take a free ride on the ferry and take in views of the metropolis from the water, collectively with the Lady of Liberty. Your kids will really feel like they’re on an adventure!
- FAQ Schwarz – This classic kid’s toy retailer is a must! Make music on the giant floor piano, say “hi” to the toy soldiers, discover the tiny dollhouses, or cuddle up with giant stuffed animals.
- Top of the Rock – You can take in 360-degree views on one of three observation decks, making it the perfect spot to see the city. Afterwards, head down to discover Rockefeller Center.
- One World Observatory – The observatory is found on the highest of One World Trade Center, additionally known because the Freedom Tower. Ride the SkyPod elevator and see New York City transform over time into the metropolis it’s today.
- Bronx Zoo – This zoo is one of many largest within the world. The whole household will benefit from the wide number of animals, treetop journey course, carousel, 4-D theater, and camel rides. Take benefit of free admission on Wednesdays!
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art – The “Met” is well worth a visit. There’s one thing for everybody – everything from Ancient Egyptian artifacts to Modern Art. Interactive programs are offered all year long that focus on studying and creativity.
- New York Transit Museum – Located inside an old subway station, you’ll learn the historical past of the New York subway system whereas exploring old subway cars! Nostalgia Rides will allow you to expertise New York historical past whereas on path to a few of the city’s best attractions.
- The High Line – This elevated inexperienced space was as soon as an overhead freight railroad. Escape from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis and expertise nature, art, water features, and amazing architecture.
- Circle Line Cruise – See greater than 100 metropolis sights from the waters off Manhattan. Choose from a number of cruise options, collectively with journey tours. It’s a nice way to relax and enjoy some refreshments, whereas listening to the on-board guides.
The whole household will discover one thing to like in New York City. Plan your journey forward of time to take benefit of of your vacation. This list of 20 issues to do with kids in New York City is a nice place to start!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this list of issues to do with kids in New York City, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for extra kids activities, please follow our Kids Activities board!