If you’re searching for a family-friendly journey spot, Montreal might be simply what you’re looking for.
Rich in artwork and culture, this Old-World metropolis offers festivals, museums, attractions, music, shopping, and surprises round each nook – the perfect place for household fun!
We’ll get you began planning your journey with this list of 20 issues to do with kids in Montreal, collectively with kid-approved locations to buy and eat and our favourite family-friendly hotels.
- Montreal has frosty winters and hot, humid summers. There are many vacationers that aren’t afraid to courageous the winter months as there are many actions to do. However, the summer months are the busiest, so you’ll want to make sure you make your bookings far in advance.
- If you’re planning to drive throughout the city, make sure you get acquainted with the traffic rules. For example, you can’t make a proper activate a red light. Plus, all of the traffic indicators are in French. So, save your self from fines and do a little analysis earlier than your trip.
- For these vacationers who live outside of Canada, you’ll want to maintain sufficient exchanged cash on you or go to an ATM in your journey to keep away from hefty financial institution fees.
- Montreal is a bilingual city, however studying a little little bit of French won’t hurt. It’s the second largest French-speaking metropolis within the world, so knowing some basic phrases to assist with communication can solely profit you in your trip. Get ready by brushing up in your French beforehand.
- Montreal is a really walkable city, and also you can simply discover an Uber or taxi. The metropolis additionally offers a huge metro system with subways and buses that may take you anywhere you want to go.
- The Montreal Passport is a nice way to take advantage of of your journey by providing entry to as a lot as 28 different attractions in addition to limitless transportation.
- Winters are fairly harsh, so you’ll want to come ready with heavy jackets, a warmth base layer, and naturally hats, gloves, and different winter gear. Keep cool within the summertime warmth by packing light layers. Fall and Spring offer the best weather, however you’ll nonetheless want to pack layers because the climate can go from warmth to chilly quickly.
- Because the metropolis is so walkable, you’ll want to pack comfy, light-weight strolling shoes for each member of your family. You’ll additionally want to bring alongside a roomy daypack or tote bag to carry all of your necessities in addition to any treasures you might find.
3 Family-Friendly Hotels in Montreal
If you’re looking for the perfect place to remain all through your trip, take a peek at three of our favourite family-friendly hotels.
- Hotel Place d’Armes – This charming hotel is the perfect mix of historic and modern. The rooms are comfortable and offer all of the amenities. In the morning you can enjoy a cafe au lait and a continental breakfast on the Brasserie 701. Kids will love the chocolate croissants and the choice of cereals.
- Chateau de l’Argoat – This hotel is not solely budget friendly, however additionally offers spacious rooms perfect for households and kids. Located within the coronary heart of the city, you can get the place you want to go with out a lot trouble. If you’re looking for no frills and simply the basics, that is the place for you.
- Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth – Close to everything, your keep is certain to be each comfortable and convenient. Get cozy within the espresso lounge, splash within the indoor pool, or store within the metropolis market. And what makes this hotel so particular is that it’s directly connected to the underground metropolis (see below).
6 Kid-Approved Places to Shop & Eat
No journey is full with out scrumptious native meals and enjoyable locations to shop!
- The RÉSO – This underground metropolis is a subterranean community of walkways, restaurants, shopping, and film theaters, in addition to métro (subway) stations. This labyrinth offers the perfect spot to get warmth within the winter or keep cool and dry all through the summer months.
- Argo Bookshop – If you have some bookworms in your family, you’ll want to cease by Montreal’s oldest English-language bookstore. You’re assured to discover some hidden gems from amongst each genre, collectively with children’s books. It’s a nice place to spend a little time and relax.
- Fou D’Ici – This metropolis market offers all different types of natural produce, dry goods, and gourmet treats. Put collectively a picnic basket of goodies for a day of exploring or seize one of their takeaway meals prepped by their in-house chef.
- Schwartz’s Deli – Famous for his or her huge smoked-meat sandwiches, this deli is one of many oldest in Canada. The large portion sizes are perfect for sharing. Avoid the lengthy lines by going between the lunch and dinner rush.
- Jardin Nelson – This restaurant in Old Montreal welcomes you with a distinctive atmosphere, scrumptious food, and live jazz music. They are known for his or her savory crepes and desserts, and they additionally offer a menu of kids favorites.
- Fairmount Bagel – The first bagel store in Montreal, it has been round for over 100 years. They offer Montreal-style bagels that are handmade and wood-fire baked, with choices from candy to savory.
14 Things To Do with Kids in Montreal
Ready to have some fun? Check out our list of 14 issues to do with kids in Montreal.
- Mount Royal Park – Your kids will love having the ability to have the space to run free or watch the bright orange koi fish swim within the small lake. This beautiful park offers issues to do year-round, collectively with bird watching, concerts, biking, snowshoeing, tubing, strolling trails, ice skating, and more. Be certain to check their web site for any occasions happening all through your stay.
- Montreal Museum of Archeology and History – This is the spot to learn all about Montreal’s historical past and archeology. Kids will love the incredible interactive exhibits and multimedia shows in addition to exhibitions that showcase everything from pirates to Vikings to an archeological dig.
- Montreal Science Centre – There are loads of actions for kids who love science and technology. They’ll enjoy exhibits and interactive video games collectively with discovering the mysteries of the human body, designing their very personal models, and working easy machines.
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts – The oldest museum in Canada is home to over 44,000 works of art. Enjoy work and sculptures, some centuries old, each native in addition to international. You can additionally catch rotating exhibitions that focus on music, fashion, cinema, design, and fine arts.
- iSaute – This indoor trampoline park is made for kids who’ve energy to burn! In addition to jumping, they can try their skill on the ninja course, climb on play structures, test their balance on a slackline, play some dodgeball, or try some trick shots on the basketball court.
- SOS Labyrinthe – The world’s largest indoor maze is a nice spot no matter the weather. As you undergo the maze, you’ll face a number of different obstacles collectively with tunnels and slides. The goal is to solve the thriller behind who’s accountable for a series of forgeries and artwork thefts, and you’ll be given riddles to solve alongside the way.
- MTL Zipline – See Montreal from an entirely different vantage point. Adults and children alike will get a thrill as they fly through the sky and get a bird’s eye view of the metropolis below. You’ll obtain a fast coaching session earlier than you depart in your 30-minute ride.
- Voiles en Voiles – Aargh matey! This pirate-themed amusement park has actions arrange inside life-size pirate ships. Your kids will enjoy aerial bridges, rope bridges, and wooden planks whereas they swing and rappel their way throughout 10 different courses. There’s additionally an inflatable playground that’s perfect for the little ones, in addition to a film show and archery arena.
- Rio Tinto Alcan Planetarium – This is the place for space lovers and future astronauts. There are loads of hands-on and walk-through exhibits collectively with the planetarium. Make certain to buy your tickets for the planetarium shows in advance because they can promote out.
- Montreal Biodome – This indoor recreation spot contains recreations of 5 different ecosystems, collectively with the Tropical Rainforest, Laurentian Maple Forest, Gulf of St. Lawrence, the Labrador Coast, and the Sub-Antarctic Islands. Explore a number of animal and plant life collectively with birds, fish, mammals, and reptiles.
- Montreal Botanical Garden – Themed gardens and greenhouses are unfold throughout 190 acres. It’s the perfect place to discover flowers, nature, and art. Made from flowers and shrubs, the sculptures are extremely beautiful and detailed. You can additionally journey the world whereas you go to the cultural gardens.
- Le Bateau-Mouche St. Lawrence Sightseeing Cruise – Grab your tickets for this 1 ½ hour cruise upon the St. Lawrence River and enjoy panoramic views of the city. A information will share interesting facts about Montreal’s history, whereas you see the sights collectively with the Clock Tower, the Biosphere, and the Jacques Cartier Bridge.
- La Ronde Amusement Park – Part of the Six Flags household of parks, it’s the largest amusement park in Quebec. You can spend an entire day having fun with shows and thrilling rides, in addition to loads of shopping and eating experiences. Before your visit, be certain to check the web site for height and weight restrictions.
- Festivals – Attending festivals is one of many best actions whereas you’re in Montreal. With dozens of various festivals happening all through the year, you’re assured to discover at least one which your loved ones will enjoy. Be certain to take a look on the calendar earlier than your go to to discover out what’s happening all through your stay.
With so many enjoyable issues to do, it’s hard to get bored on this fantastique city!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved our list of issues to do with kids in Montreal, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for extra kids activities, please follow our Kids Activities board!