If you’re involved about your intestine health, you may need to consider including a key ingredient to your diet – prebiotic foods.
What Are ‘Prebiotic Foods’?
Prebiotics are a particular type of non-digestible plant fiber. They assist your digestive system work its best because they promote the expansion of wholesome bacteria.
Many types of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are a nice supply of prebiotics.
Prebiotic meals contain this particular plant fiber, and they’re the ideal supply of meals to feed the wholesome micro organism in your gut.
What Are the Health Benefits of Prebiotic Foods?
Prebiotic meals offer all sorts of well being benefits. They can:
- Help to extend the pleasant micro organism in your gut, which assists with many digestive problems.
- Help support digestive well being because they’re excessive in fiber.
- Help prevent sure diseases.
- Improve metabolic health.
- Boost your immune system.
20 Prebiotic Foods to Add to Your Diet
These 20 prebiotic meals are not solely excessive in fiber, however will support your overall digestive health. However, you need to watch out when cooking them, because their fiber content material could additionally be altered. In order to get the most well being benefits, attempt to consume them uncooked whenever possible.
- Apples – Apples contain pectin, a soluble fiber that has prebiotic benefits. They increase the good micro organism in your intestine and reduce the dangerous bacteria. Apples boost coronary heart well being as well, and can prevent each bronchial asthma and sure pulmonary disorders.
- Bananas – This popular, tasty fruit is excessive in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. When selecting a banana, go for a less-ripe one, as inexperienced bananas contain resistant starch, which is the place you’ll get these prebiotic benefits.
- Garlic – This scrumptious herb has a lengthy list of advantages together with reducing inflammation, selling the expansion of good bacteria, in addition to lowering your blood glucose levels. Rich in antioxidants, garlic has additionally been proven to reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Onions – Full of flavor, onions contain inulin fiber in addition to FOS, that are a type of carbohydrate. FOS is an immune booster and helps to strengthen the flora in your gut. Onions have each anticancer and antioxidant properties and are nice for your cardiovascular system.
- Leeks – From the identical household as garlic and onions, leeks have many of the identical benefits. Loaded with nutritional vitamins and minerals, they’re wealthy in Vitamin K and inulin fiber. Leeks are beneficial for your intestine micro organism and they assist your physique break down fat.
- Oats – Oats contain resistant starch and beta-glucan fiber which have highly effective prebiotic benefits. Reducing cancer, lowering cholesterol, and serving to to prevent most cancers are solely a few. Oats additionally assist to management your blood sugar levels.
- Tomatoes – Raw or cooked, tomatoes have highly effective prebiotic effects. The fiber they contain helps with intestine health. Rich in lycopene, which is an antioxidant, tomatoes assist with imaginative and prescient and celular health, and additionally assist to guard your skin.
- Berries – All berries are an excellent supply of plant fiber. They contain each inulin and resistant starch. They’re not solely a nice way to get antioxidants, however they additionally assist good micro organism multiply in your digestive tract.
- Barley – This popular cereal grain is not solely used to make beer, however it additionally contains a prebiotic fiber called beta-glucan. This fiber helps with the expansion of good micro organism in your gut. It lowers blood sugar ranges in addition to ldl cholesterol and it can enhance your metabolism.
- Asparagus – This prebiotic-rich vegetable contains inulin fiber as well. It has been proven to prevent sure cancers. Asparagus is excessive in antioxidants and helps with inflammation.
- Jerusalem artichoke – This vegetable is additionally known as a sunchoke, sunroot, or earth apple. Raw or cooked, it helps to spice up your immune system, and will increase the degrees of good micro organism in your colon.
- Chicory root – Tasting similar to coffee, chicory root contains the prebiotic fiber inulin. It comes from a flowering plant similar to a dandelion, and the fiber it contains helps aid digestion and relieves constipation. Rich in antioxidants, it additionally helps management your glucose levels.
- Dandelion greens – These greens come from the flowering dandelion plant. A fiber powerhouse, they’re often cooked or eaten raw. Along with boosting your immune system and reducing inflammation, they’re additionally known for his or her anticancer effects.
- Wheat bran – A nice supply of prebiotics, wheat bran contains a fiber called AXOS. It can assist with digestive issues, raise the degrees of good micro organism in your gut, and it’s additionally wealthy in antioxidants.
- Flaxseeds – A fantastic supply of prebiotics, flaxseeds are wealthy in fiber, which helps to maintain you regular. They assist to decrease LDL, or “bad” cholesterol, and restrict the quantity of fats that you digest.
- Konjac root – Konjac root is a type of vegetable known as a tuber. They contain large quantities of glucomannan fiber, which helps with constipation and weight loss. Helping to advertise the expansion of good micro organism in your gut, konjac root can additionally enhance your metabolism and decrease your cholesterol.
- Cocoa Beans – Cocoa is used to make chocolate. They’re not actually beans at all, however seeds that are wealthy in flavanols and antioxidants. These seeds can be made right into a scrumptious powder so as to add to meals and beverages. Cocoa helps to reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes and helps to extend the wholesome micro organism in your gut.
- Jicama root – Rich in inulin, jicama root has been proven to management your blood sugar, strengthen your immune system, and aid digestion. Its excessive ranges of Vitamin C additionally assist your physique fight illness.
- Yacon root – With each FOS and inulin fiber, yacon root is a nice supply of antioxidants. Similar to a candy potato, it can enhance your mineral absorption in addition to your digestion.
- Burdock root – This vegetable is excessive in FOS and inulin fiber. It’s nice for your intestine micro organism and is additionally wealthy in antioxidants.
With so many options, it’s easy to discover prebiotic meals that will work with your diet. Considering the seemingly endless quantities of benefits, prebiotics are a must-add plant fiber for overall well being and wellness.