The metropolis meets the beach on this tropical destination. Fort Lauderdale is all about gorgeous blue water, beautiful beaches, historic attractions, and and thrilling arts and cultural scene.
A journey to Fort Lauderdale means enjoyable for households with kids younger and old.
You’ll uncover there are adventures available each outdoors and in with this list of 19 issues to do with kids in Fort Lauderdale, together with kid-friendly locations to purchase and eat.
When To Visit – There’s actually no bad time to visit, because the local weather is tropical year-round. Springtime offers up perfect temperatures, calm seas, and clear skies. Winter is heat with simply an occasional chilly spell. Summer serves up nice mornings and hot and humid afternoons with frequent rain showers. Fall has nice temperatures, however is additionally the coronary heart of hurricane season, so you’ll want to be prepared.
Weather Tips – If you want to keep away from the heat, plan to discover the metropolis early within the day. Always check the forecast if you’re going out on the water, since excessive wind speeds could make for a depressing experience. And if the forecast occurs to name for rain all through your visit, know that it ought to pass quickly.
Getting Around – The most affordable way to get round is via Uber or Lyft. Public transportation is not recommended for vacationers and is geared extra towards native commuters. You can drive however put together to pay a lot for parking. If your loved ones is extra adventurous, you can journey via water taxi, rent a bike at one of many stations across the city, or take the Brightline for high-speed travel. There is additionally the Sun Trolley which is enjoyable and free to ride.
What to Pack
- Sunscreen – You don’t want to forget to pack your sunscreen! If you’re planning on swimming within the ocean or taking benefit of water activities, be certain to decide on sunscreen that’s reef friendly. The waters are filled with coral reefs all of the way to the shoreline. So, reef-friendly sunscreen will assist protect them.
- Sun Gear – Since sunshine is what you’ll be having fun with all through your stay, you’ll want to pack your swimsuits and rash guards, hats, sunglasses, and UPF clothes to guard you from the harsh rays of the sun.
- Dry Bag – If you’re planning to exit on the water, pack a dry bag to assist keep all of your valuables dry all through your adventures.
4 Kid-Approved Places to Shop and Eat
- Las Olas Boulevard – Stroll this boulevard and discover distinctive boutiques, artwork galleries, and locations to eat. It’s like tropical eye sweet with color and tradition wherever you look. You’ll discover native delicacies and meals choices to cater to everybody within the family.
- Sawgrass Mills – If you love outlet shopping, that’s the largest one within the U.S.! There are loads of locations to purchase with over 350 stores. You can additionally select from informal eateries or sit-down restaurants. Kids will like to pose with all of the painted alligator statues all through the shopping area.
- Mai-Kai Restaurant – This tiki-themed restaurant and Polynesian present is certain to be a hit! Adults will love the Asian meals and kids will enjoy their very personal menu full with drinks served in an actual pineapple! The present itself is incredible, with dancers and performers on stage whereas you eat.
- 15th Street Fisheries – Located proper on the marina, with views of the Atlantic Ocean, you can enjoy fresh seafood at eating locations that vary from informal to luxurious. On weekends you can listen to live music, and also you can purchase shrimp from the dock retailer to feed the large tarpon fish!
15 Things To Do with Kids in Fort Lauderdale
Get prepared to discover this tropical metropolis with this list of 15 issues to do with kids in Fort Lauderdale.
- Museum of Discovery and Science – As quickly as you enter, you’ll be floored by the Great Gravity Clock. Kids will love watching the balls set the gears into motion. This museum is a nice spot to go to on a wet afternoon. Ride the see-through escalator, take a photograph with a megalodon, learn about native species, or go to the 2-story Otters at Play.
- Jungle Queen Riverboat Cruise – Explore the waterways of Fort Lauderdale on this historic riverboat. You can go sightseeing all through the day to learn all about noteworthy landmarks and boats and view a few of the massive homes of the ultra-rich. Or you can select to enjoy a night cruise with an all-you-can-eat dinner and present that includes fire dancers, a magician, and more.
- Las Olas Gondola Tours – Fort Lauderdale is additionally known as “Little Venice” due to its winding canals and waterways. Take a 75-minute gondola tour through the canals and really feel like you’ve simply escaped to Italy whereas you listen to music. You may even bring your personal snacks and drinks on board, so the littlest riders will always be happy!
- Flamingo Gardens – Just a brief drive from Fort Lauderdale, this botanical garden, aviary, zoo, and wildlife sanctuary spans 60 acres. You’ll discover loads of pink flamingos and different tropical birds, in addition to otters and fish. Kids will love feeding the flamingos and koi fish. Grown-ups will love exploring the lush gardens.
- Deerfield and Hillsboro Beaches – These seashores make the perfect pair, as each are extraordinarily household friendly. Parking is plentiful, as are the restaurant options, and also you can discover lots of enjoyable shops. Enjoy water sports activities like jet snowboarding or paddleboarding or go swimming within the calm waters. You’ll discover loads of photo ops and the beautiful sandy seashores are perfect for constructing a sandcastle.
- Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale – Stroll or bike down this tropical waterfront and go to 10 different parks alongside the way. You can additionally rent a kayak and discover Fort Lauderdale from the water. Be certain to check their calendar earlier than your go to to take benefit of thrilling occasions like classes, festivals, and concerts.
- Fort Lauderdale Segway Tour – What a enjoyable way to see the city! This 4-mile Segway tour takes you alongside the Riverwalk and offers some fantastic views together with yachts, canals, and artwork installations. You can take a daytime or nighttime tour. There is no minimal age to ride, however there are weight restrictions.
- Sawgrass Recreation Park – This popular spot offers guests an thrilling airboat tour through gator habitats. You’ll take within the magnificence of the Florida Everglades and have the chance to glimpse the native wildlife. They even have a small zoo filled with reptiles of all shapes and sizes and wildlife exhibits with tortoises, peacocks, and iguanas.
- Bluefoot Pirate Adventures – Climb aboard the ship for a swashbuckling good adventure. You’ll gear up and get your temporary tattoos earlier than you set sail. Kids will love shooting water cannons and searching for treasure whereas they battle Barnacle Bill.
- Fort Lauderdale Beach – Relax on the palm-lined beach and take in amazing views of the Atlantic Ocean. You’ll discover loads of distributors providing umbrellas and cabanas in addition to bike and water sport rentals. Walk alongside the iconic Wave Wall to enjoy shopping or to seize a fast meal. Kids will love the beach playground located at Sebastian Street.
- Butterfly World – This amazing spot is home to greater than 20,000 butterflies from across the world. You’ll not solely have the chance to get up shut and private with butterflies, however you can additionally discover the Bug Museum, go to with unique birds, and enjoy all of the tropical flowers.
- Young at Art Museum – This might simply be the coolest museum ever, and it offers some amazing photo ops. Stroll through the interactive galleries the place you can discover different customs, construct sandcastles, go to a cave, be immersed in Alice’s Wonderland, and create your very personal masterpieces!
- Billie Swamp Safari – About an hour outside of Fort Lauderdale, this place is worth the trip. Take a swamp buggy eco tour over dry land and thru muddy swamps, the place you’ll catch glimpses of native wildlife. You can additionally enjoy snake and live critter shows, animal exhibits, and airboat rides. Located on a 2200-acre Seminole Indian Preserve, you can discover an genuine Seminole village and learn all about how they preserved the land.
- EZ Ride Surf School – Have you always desired to learn to surf? You’ll have the chance to ride the waves whereas you take a lesson or hone your skills. Perfect for all skill ranges and ages, their licensed instructors will teach you everything you want to know. With its miles of beaches, Fort Lauderdale offers a beautiful place to surf.
- Hugh Taylor Birch State Park – This tranquil park is additionally known as “Central Park” and is a nice place to picnic, ride a bike, go fishing, or do a little bird watching. The lagoon is ideal for kayaking or canoeing. Or you can stroll through the pedestrian tunnel which takes you proper onto the sands of Fort Lauderdale Beach.
The magnificence of this beach metropolis is undeniable. Have a blast in your journey with this list of 19 issues to do with kids in Fort Lauderdale!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this list of 19 issues to do with kids in Fort Lauderdale, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for extra kids activities, please follow our Kids Activities board!