Rich in tradition and full of vibrant neighborhoods, Chicago is a metropolis worth exploring. With its magnificent skyline, lakeside location, and endless quantity of family-friendly activities, it offers one thing to do or see round each corner.
We’ve got you covered with our list of 18 issues to do with kids in Chicago, together with kid-approved locations to eat, shop, and stay!
- You have two airports to select from when flying to Chicago. Midway and Chicago O’Hare are about the identical distance from the city. Travel to your hotel via taxi, rideshare, or airport transfer, that are higher choices for managing small children in addition to your baggage and gear.
- Like any different big city, it’s smart to always be conscious of your surroundings, particularly when touring with kids. Stick to downtown and the popular vacationer spots to play it safe.
- If you plan to rent a car, be conscious that parking within the metropolis is fairly expensive. Chicago is easy to discover via public transportation, on foot, or via bicycle when the climate permits.
What to Pack
- To put together for the weather, you want to consider the season. You’ll get the best climate April to May and September to October. June to August means hot and extraordinarily humid conditions, in addition to sudden downpours. November to March is all about freezing temperatures and biting winds.
- Spring journey requires water-repellent shoes or boots and light outerwear. Summer packing means breathable clothing, raingear, and lots of sunscreen. Fall is all about the sunshine layers of clothing. Winter requires thermal layers, thick knitwear, and heavy coats.
- Be certain to pack an umbrella stroller or child carrier to maintain issues hassle free when touring with little ones.
- It’s not called the Windy City for nothing! That’s why you want to pack an umbrella that’s windproof in addition to rainproof it doesn’t matter what time of the year you’re visiting.
- Daypacks are important when exploring a metropolis with kids. You’ll be worry-free knowing you have everything you want on hand.
- You’ll be strolling – a lot! So, keep hydrated with a journey reusable water bottle for each member of your family.
3 Family-Friendly Hotels in Chicago
- The Guesthouse Hotel – Originally deliberate to be condos, this hotel offers rooms with excessive ceilings and loads of space. Every suite has a gourmet kitchen which makes meal prep easy, in addition to a washer and dryer. Hotel staff are happy to present no matter you may want together with child gear, games, and even coloring supplies!
- Loews Hotel – Your kids will be thrilled when they stroll in your room to discover a play tent and campfire arrange overlooking a view of the city. Kids will additionally obtain their very personal package of toys for his or her stay. Talk about kid-friendly! The downtown location is near everything, and parents will appreciate facilities solely for infants like cribs and bath kits.
- Best Western River North – This hotel is affordable and offers good big rooms. The onsite restaurant has loads of kid-friendly choices and little ones will love the complementary Push-Ups and ice cream sandwiches!
7 Kid-Approved Places to Shop & Eat in Chicago
- Best in Chow Food Tour – This tour is all about classic Chicago meals – think Chicago-style hot dogs, deep dish pizza, and hot beef sandwiches. You’ll additionally get a dose of historical past as you learn simply how these meals became Chicago classics.
- Original Rainbow Cone – This tasty ice cream store is ideal on a hot day. There are tons of flavors and treats to select from with cones, shakes, cake rolls, and more.
- Urban Belly – If your loved ones loves Asian-inspired cuisine, you want to take a look at Urban Belly. They have fantastic child menu choices that will please even the pickiest of eaters. You may choose to go to this spot greater than once!
- Andersonville – This thrilling neighborhood is discovered simply North of downtown. It has a Swedish affect and a small-town feel. Kids will love exploring the toy shops, bookstores, and candy shops.
- SafeHouse – This is a good spot to eat and play! From the second you stroll in it’s all about fun. Kids will love the in-restaurant scavenger hunt and the magician doing card tricks. Food is available in easy-to-order packages that include an appetizer, entree, and drink.
- Doughnut Vault – This popular candy spot nearly always has a line, so plan ahead. Their doughnuts are decadent, and they’ve a good choice of coffees.
- Giordano’s Pizza/Gino’s East Pizza – Chicago is known for his or her deep-dish pizzas. But how do you know which one is best? You want to try as many as possible! Visit Giordano’s and Gino’s for his or her distinct deep dishes and select your favorite.
18 Things To Do with Kids in Chicago
- Chicago Riverwalk – Located on the South Bank of the Chicago River, Riverwalk offers gourmet meals and native treats, public art, inexperienced spaces, and boat tours. Take in views of the metropolis skyline whereas you stroll the 1-mile-long pedestrian path alongside the river.
- Skydeck – This spot is located excessive above the metropolis on the 103rd floor of Willis Tower. The views are incredible, and also you can see 4 different states from the platform. There are always lines, so be ready by getting there early.
- Alder Planetarium – If you have space lovers in your family, you won’t want to overlook this lakefront planetarium. Kids will love exploring the exhibits and the full-scale models. Check out their web site for present shows and events.
- Museum of Science & Industry – One of the largest science museums within the world, it spans 14 acres with greater than 35,000 different artifacts. Be certain to carve out loads of time to go to as many exhibits as possible, together with the Giant Dome Theater, live tornadoes, a diesel train, and a German submarine!
- Centennial Ferris Wheel on Navy Pier – This Chicago landmark ought to be in your must-do list. This Ferris Wheel has enclosed gondolas that take you 200 feet excessive and offer amazing 360-degree views of the metropolis and Lake Michigan. While you’re on the Navy Pier, you can additionally discover cool eating locations and shops.
- Wrigley Field – Opened in 1914, it’s home to the Chicago Cubs main league baseball team. Be certain to join a guided tour that permits you to discover the amazing structure and learn all about its thrilling history.
- Gallagher Way – This attraction is a fantastic place for kids. Located subsequent to Wrigley Field, this open space offers concerts and markets within the hotter months and within the winter months you can enjoy vacation movies and ice skating. There’s additionally loads of good spots to seize a bite to eat.
- Chicago Children’s Museum – Located on the Navy Pier, this museum is full of alternatives for hands-on play and exploration. With a big focus on science and history, kids 10 and under will have enjoyable digging up dinosaur bones, climbing the Cloud Buster, and portray within the artwork studio.
- Maggie Daley Park – This 20-acre public park options an outdoor climbing park and the well-known Skating Ribbon within the Winter months. Kids will love the play backyard with slides, the wave lawn, and an enchanted forest.
- Art Institute of Chicago – You can spend a whole day at this artwork museum which is one of many oldest and largest within the world. The whole household can take a mini tour or go to the Vitale Family Room for puzzles, games, and books. Best of all, children under 14 are free!
- Shedd Aquarium – This aquarium homes greater than 32,000 different creatures in over 5 million gallons of water. Kids will have a blast visiting beluga whales, sharks, jellyfish, and penguins. Don’t miss the reef exhibits and Amazon River tanks.
- Field Museum of Natural History – Nature lovers each big and small will have a blast visiting a T-Rex named “Sue”, an actual mummy, and a quantity of touring exhibitions. You can seize a bite to eat on the Field Bistro or pick up a memento on the museum store.
- The Bean/Millenium Park – This 25-acre greenspace is home to concerts within the summertime and ice skating within the winter. A massive three-story metal sculpture known as The Bean is a well-liked photo spot for tourists.
- Lincoln Park Zoo – This zoo dates all of the way again to 1868. Everyone will get in free and also you can go to greater than 1,100 different animals. Ride the train, get up shut throughout animal encounters, and take a spin on the carousel. Visit their web site for present occasions and seasonal activities.
- Chicago Botanic Garden – With over 385 acres and 27 beautiful gardens to explore, that’s the perfect place for nature lovers. Kids will love the arched bridges within the Japanese Garden, the Learning Play Center, and the Nature Play Garden.
- The Escape Game Chicago – This is a good spot to “escape” to when the climate outside is lower than agreeable. You may not think escape rooms are kid-friendly, however this one is ideal for everybody within the family. You’ll have 60 minutes to determine the clues and discover your way out.
- Brookfield Zoo – There are greater than 450 different species to go to at this Chicago zoo. Animal lovers in your loved ones can encounter wild animals, ride the carousel, enjoy a dolphin show, or feed the giraffes.
- 360 Chicago – Located on the 94th floor of the John Hancock Building, is an observation deck with incredible views of the metropolis below. You can take within the surrounding areas from each direction 1,000 feet within the sky. Those who love a thrill can expertise one of many highest rides within the country, the Tilt ride.
Your household will be blown away with a go to to the Windy City. We hope this list of 18 issues to do with kids in Chicago will make your planning and decision making that a lot easier.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you discovered this list of issues to do with kids in Chicago helpful, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for extra kids activities, please follow our Kids Activities board!