Atlanta is by far one of many most diverse cities in North America, with a vibrant music scene and thrilling meals culture.
Known because the “Capital of the South”, it offers a myriad of issues to do for households and kids of all ages, with loads of Southern charm.
Whether you love nature, getting up shut and private with animals, or exploring history, you’ll discover your favorites with our list of 14 issues to do with kids in Atlanta.
- The Atlanta City Pass offers deep reductions on popular spots round Atlanta. You can purchase the pass on-line earlier than your trip. It includes admission to as much as 5 different attractions.
- If you can go to Atlanta all through the week, you’ll take benefit of much less crowds at a few of the extra popular vacationer spots. But if you should go to over a weekend, be certain to seize your tickets and make reservations beforehand.
- If you’re looking for an easy way to get around, try MARTA. Trains take you to locations all through the city, providing a handy and affordable way to journey from place to place.
- Spring is the best time to go to Atlanta due to the mild temperatures and nice weather. The metropolis is in full bloom and in full swing with festival season. Summer is hot and muggy, so you’ll need to be ready with locations to beat the summer warmth all through this peak journey season. Fall offers beautiful colours and lots of spooky events, however it can keep warmth all of the way into November. Winter is chilly and moist however can even be fairly magical all through the vacation season.
- Traffic can be awful, particularly all through rush hour, so keep your phone or navigation system handy to keep away from any delays. Most parking is paid, besides for Sundays and holidays when it’s free.
What to Pack
- No matter when you visit, you’ll need to pack comfortable garments and flat strolling shoes.
- Summer days can be scorchers, so be ready with lightweight, breathable fabrics, sunhats, sunglasses, and loads of sunscreen. It’s additionally the season for bugs, so consider packing some bug repellent.
- For spring and fall it’s all about the layers with mild temperatures being the norm, and within the winter months a warmth jacket in addition to a hat and gloves are a must.
- A light jacket or sweatshirt is a should year-round, even within the hotter months the place the air conditioning can be fairly chilly.
- If you have little ones, you’ll need to have a child carrier or light-weight stroller on hand to make exploring easier.
- Stay hydrated by packing a reusable water bottle that you can fill up at no matter locations you cease at all through the day.
- Keep everything handy, from child wipes and diapers to an umbrella for pop-up showers in a roomy daypack.
5 Kid-Approved Places to Eat
- The Varsity – “What’ll ya have?” That’s what you’ll hear when you go to this favourite spot for locals that includes hot dogs and hamburgers. It’s the largest drive-in quick meals restaurant within the world. They have their very personal lingo: a unadorned canine and strings is solely a plain hot canine and fries!
- The Flying Biscuit – There’s always a wait, however you won’t need to overlook out on their all-day breakfast that includes everything from scrumptious pancakes to of course, biscuits! Kids meals are affordable, and parents will love the super-friendly vibe.
- Ponce City Market – This vibrant meals corridor and funky industrial space offers a few of the best meals within the metropolis with all kinds of meals stalls. You can seize your meals to go and enjoy your meal at one of many tables of their shared public space. It’s tremendous crowded on weekends, so try and go to all through the week.
- Mary Mac’s Tea Room – Open since 1945, this isn’t your conventional tea house. The relaxed atmosphere welcomes households and offers Southern consolation meals at its best. It’s always crowded, so be ready to attend – it’s worth it!
- Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q – Locals love this BBQ spot. If you’re craving some conventional Southern barbecue, this spot won’t disappoint. It’s tremendous child nice with a nice kids menu and speedy service, regardless of being a popular spot to eat any time of day.
14 Things To Do with Kids in Atlanta
- Children’s Museum of Atlanta – Kids can get hands-on at this children’s museum. They can construct giant sandcastles, race cars on a magnetic track, shoot an air cannon, go fishing, climb in a treehouse, go grocery shopping, or have their very personal dance party.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden – This metropolis oasis is home to beautiful displays, thrilling exhibitions, and famend plant collections. You don’t need to overlook the Earth Goddess display, and if you’re visiting within the winter months, Garden Lights is a must-see. In the summer, you can cool off within the splash pad. Kids will completely love the Children’s Garden the place they can watch bees make honey and create their very personal music.
- World of Coca-Cola – This spot is worth a stop, whether or not or not you’re a fan of this popular soda. You can learn a little history, discover out how it’s made, and see a few of the distinctive machines and bottles. Kids will have enjoyable tasting Coca-Cola flavors from throughout the world in addition to assembly the Coca-Cola Polar Bear.
- Skyline Park – Located on the roof of Ponce City Market, this hidden gem offers games, miniature golf, and classic amusement attractions, rides such as a 3-story slide, in addition to yummy meals and drinks. You’ll additionally appreciate the amazing views of the metropolis of Atlanta from up above.
- Zoo Atlanta – One of the oldest zoos within the country, you can enjoy animals from all through the world. Ride the zoo train, try your skills on the Treetop Trail, get moist within the Splash Fountain, or make new friends on the petting zoo. There’s even a mini ropes course solely for the little ones! You can additionally feed a giraffe or watch a wildlife presentation.
- Georgia Aquarium – Explore different ocean habitats the place you’ll discover dolphins, jellyfish, beluga whales, and even massive whale sharks! Take a ride on the moving walkway and view sea life all through you, together with sharks and rays. The whole household will benefit from the dolphin and sea lion shows in addition to alternatives for all types of animal encounters.
- Fernbank Museum of Natural History – Start by visiting the museum and return in time to discover dinosaurs, fossils, and towering skeletons. Next, discover the Fernbank Forest, with seventy five acres of strolling trails, wildlife, nature playgrounds, and an incredible cover walk. You can additionally catch a film on a 4-story screen within the Giant Screen Theater.
- College of Football Hall of Fame – If anybody in your loved ones is a fan of college football, that is a must-visit. Even these that aren’t into soccer will discover it enjoyable. You’ll obtain your personal All Access pass as quickly as you enter. Kids and adults will love the indoor playing field in addition to different distinctive experiences together with The Quad with over 775 helmets representing different schools.
- Centennial Olympic Park – This 22-acre greenspace is devoted to Atlanta’s internet hosting role all through the 1996 Olympic Games. Cool off within the Fountain of Rings, discover the Garden Pavilions, go to the Centennial tree, or take a ride on The Spectacular, a giant Ferris wheel.
- Stone Mountain Park – Just 10 miles outside of Atlanta is a 3,200-acre park that includes strolling trails, covered bridges, gristmill ruins, and massive granite outcroppings. No matter what season you visit, there are many thrilling festivals and events. You can additionally enjoy attractions such as Adventure Golf, the Scenic Railroad, Geyser Towers, and the Summit Skyride which takes you up greater than 825 feet to the highest of Stone Mountain.
- Southeastern Railway Museum – This is the spot for train lovers. Explore, climb, and contact greater than ninety items of railway equipment. You can tour a multitude of rail cars or climb aboard a caboose for a ride throughout the museum grounds. There’s additionally a miniature park train that’s perfect for the little ones.
- Center for Puppetry Arts – This is THE place for puppet lovers, providing educational experiences for all ages. Kids have the chance to become the puppet maker in addition to the puppeteer. There are additionally live shows, exhibitions, and hands-on workshops.
- Atlanta History Center – Georgia historical past involves life at this historical past center full with a museum, farmhouse, gardens, and a 1930’s mansion. Explore hands-on exhibits, learn homesteading skills, go to the gardens, or stroll the Connor Brown Trail.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Historical Park – This 35-acre park is truly a nationwide treasure. You’ll have the chance to learn all about this Civil Rights Leader and the way he contributed to our society. Park rangers will take you on a free 30-minute tour, which incorporates the house the place he was born. You’ll need to be certain to take a look on the Visitor Center to discover the hands-on exhibits.
You’re assured to have enjoyable with this list of 14 issues to do with kids in Atlanta.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this list of issues to do with kids in Atlanta, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for extra kids activities, please follow our Kids Activities board!