Oregon’s largest metropolis is very family-oriented, making it the perfect place to journey with kids. Portland boasts numerous vacationer attractions, together with parks and museums, and is known for its distinctive eateries.
Portland has a personality all its own, and Portlanders embrace living an eco-friendly lifestyle. The metropolis is full of happy, pleasant people, together with artisans and eco-loving hipsters.
You’ll want to permit loads of time to discover the metropolis and all its pure attractions. Get your journey began with our list of 12 issues to do with kids in Portland, plus must-stay hotels, and enjoyable locations to purchase and eat.
- The MAX Light Rail is the best way to get from the airport to downtown. Kids will love riding the sleek train, taking in colourful views of the metro areas. With trains leaving about every 15 minutes, it makes journey a breeze. Simply purchase your tickets on the airport station.
- Portland is home to their very personal bikeshare system, called Biketown. It’s a enjoyable and affordable way to get around. You can’t miss the bright orange bikes stationed throughout the city. Visit their web site to discover out extra info about leases and pick up/drop off locations.
- Another nice way to get throughout the metropolis is the Portland Streetcar. You can simply seize tickets at any platform, throughout three lines and sixteen miles of track.
- Oregon doesn’t have any gross sales tax, which can be a shock to visitors. It’s a nice perk for these that like to shop.
- If you’re touring to Portland via car or picking up a rental, you could additionally be surprised when you get to the gas pump. Most gas stations don’t have self-serve gas. Instead, you’ll have a pleasant gas-station worker who will come and pump your gas.
What to Pack
- While a light-weight journey stroller is always a must-pack item, don’t forget to pack a child carrier for the little ones, as some facilities won’t allow strollers. You’ll additionally want to have a carrier that’s hiking pleasant if you plan to discover the close by recreation areas.
- Be certain to pack a reusable or collapsible water bottle to maintain hydrated whereas hiking, biking, or strolling through the city.
- With the quantity of parks and outdoor trails, make certain to pack sturdy hiking or trail-running shoes.
- Since it rains about seven months of the year, a sturdy umbrella and raincoat are a should to be ready for a downpour.
- Be certain to pack an additional suitcase or duffel bag. Since Oregon doesn’t have gross sales tax, you’re certain to come home with greater than you introduced with you.
4 Kid-Friendly Hotels
- McMenamins Kennedy School – This is by far Portland’s most distinctive hotel. Formerly the Kennedy Elementary School, it has been transformed into fifty seven visitor rooms, some with enjoyable touches like original chalkboards and cloakrooms. Everyone will benefit from the soaking pool, film theater, and restaurant. Parents will love the small bars and onsite brewery.
- Kimpton RiverPlace – Parents and kids will love staying inside the Bunkalow Suite, that includes a king-sized mattress and bunk beds. Meals are made easy with the onsite restaurant and 24-hour room service. The hotel even loans out bicycles for a ride alongside the river.
- Inn at Northrup Station – The family-friendly suites are brightly decorated and have handy options like mini-kitchens and pull-out beds. You’re additionally inside strolling distance of cute boutiques and world-class restaurants.
- Hotel Zags Portland – This hotel is stylish and fun, with a quantity of rooms and suites to suit any family. The Gear Shed options everything you want to discover the city, together with bikes, helmets, fishing rods, backpacks, cameras, and security gear.
8 Kid-Approved Places to Shop & Eat
- Voodoo Donuts – This world-famous donut store can’t be missed. With two colourful locations, you’ll discover the most distinctive flavors, served up in quirky pink boxes. Be certain to try the Voodoo Bubble, Memphis Mafia, and the Bacon Maple Bar.
- Powell’s Books – A must-stop for book lovers, you can spend hours exploring greater than 1 million books, new and old. Be certain to go to the flagship retailer inside the Pearl District for the best expertise and bring an additional bag with you to hold all of your treasures home!
- Slappy Cakes – Kids will be excited to create their very personal pancakes at this full-service breakfast spot. You can squeeze out pancake batter onto griddles located proper on the table. Follow it up by including your favourite fixings, together with banana slices, strawberries, or chocolate chips.
- Blue Star – Another must-visit donut shop, grownups will love their gourmet flavors and high-end ingredients. Some of the most distinctive donuts include the Blueberry Basil Cake, Chocolate Almond Ganache, and the Cointreau Creme Brulee.
- Floating World Comics – Located downtown, this store is a comic-lovers dream, the cabinets packed with comedian books new and old. If you’re fortunate sufficient to be there on a Wednesday, you’ll get to take a look at a fresh batch of comics.
- Hopwork Urban Brewery – This family-owned brewery is known for its chilly beer and hot food. It’s particularly household friendly, with funky decor and delicious, wholesome kids’ meals.
- Portland Saturday Market – Visit this outdoor arts-and-crafts market every Saturday from mid-March through Christmas Eve. The largest continuously working open-air market inside the U.S., guests can store for colourful handicrafts, fresh flowers, and produce, in addition to enjoy live entertainment.
- Portland Food Carts – Food cart tradition is strong in Portland. You’ll discover a quantity of meals cart pods dotting the city, together with tacos, baked goods, vegetarian fare, and worldwide cuisine.
12 Things To Do with Kids in Portland
- Oregon Zoo – Located in Washington Park, it’s the oldest zoo west of the Mississippi River, opening again in 1888! Explore sixty four acres of exhibits with greater than 1,000 different animals. Parents and kids can enjoy shows, workshops, and presentations all through the year.
- Forest Park – Enjoy the outside and the beautiful surroundings whereas hiking through Forest Park. With over eighty miles of trails, it’s the perfect escape with plenty to explore. Spot a quantity of wildlife and follow the Wildwood path to the “Witch’s House.”
- Keller Fountain Park – It’s all about the dazzling, eye-catching waterfalls at this downtown park. It’s the perfect place to chill off on a heat day. Kids will have a blast splashing inside the swimming pools and shallow basins.
- Portland Police Museum – Located in downtown Portland, this museum options artifacts from the city’s police history. Kids will love exploring the exhibits – particularly the jail cells. Best of all, admission is free.
- OMSI Portland Kids Museum – Focused on science and technology, this museum is a nice cease for kids of all ages. Learning is done through play and interactive exhibits. Don’t miss the water station, Science Playground, planetarium, and submarine tour!
- The Portland Aerial Tram – This aerial tram connects the South waterfront and the Marquam Hill neighborhood, offering distinctive views of the metropolis and beyond. The best times to ride are dawn and sunset, and at simply over $5 spherical trip, it’s well worth it.
- Washington Park – This metropolis park is home to all kinds of attractions and was designed by the identical architects that created Central Park in New York. A inexperienced oasis, you can select from miles of nature trails, the largest play construction in Portland, and greater than 200 free occasions inside the summer.
- Pittock Mansion – This French chateau, located inside the West hills of Portland, was constructed in 1914. Enjoy views of the metropolis whereas you learn about the historical past of the mansion, with greater than 20 rooms to explore, full with interval furnishings and private artifacts.
- World Forestry Center – This nonprofit institution, located close to the Oregon Zoo, permits guests to discover two flooring of hands-on exhibits. Kids will learn about the significance of trees, in addition to how to plant and protect them.
- Oaks Amusement Park – This small amusement park has been in operation since 1905 and options a curler rink and mini golf course. The whole household will love the classic rides, halfway games, and thrill rides.
- Director Park – If you want a fun, free way for your kids to burn off some extra energy, this downtown park is the place to be. The large fountain is a nice spot to relax and turns into a splash pad inside the hotter months. Play a game of giant chess or enjoy free occasions year-round.
- Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area – This year-round recreation space is breathtakingly beautiful. The gorge is bisected by the mighty Columbia River, creating pure swimming pools and shimmering waterfalls. There’s plenty to do, together with hiking, mountain biking, bird watching, and whitewater rafting. You can additionally enjoy museums, dining, and shopping experiences.
Lush, and awe-inspiring, Portland is a beautiful spot to take the entire household any time of year. Now it’s time to plan your perfect getaway with our list of 12 issues to do with kids in Portland.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved our list of issues to do with kids in Portland, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for extra kids activities, please follow our Kids Activities board!